Tangent leverages engineering for innovation that creates great product, changes the world, and enriches lives.
Tangent engineers innovation.
What is Tangent? We hear it all the time.
Let's not go on a Tangent, sorry to go on a Tangent, let's go on a Tangent for a while... Tangent is a mathematical term and loosely used as a change of direction. Tangent sees a change of direction as the foundation for engineering success in product design. Business as usual does not always get it done. Whether you are a small company without a full engineering team, or a large enterprise with an internal innovation team, Tangent's approach to engineering success starts with collecting all the required inputs... What are we doing, who is it for, why are we doing it? We then apply our product development process (How are we going to do it) to systematically focus on delivering a new product by systematically eliminating risks and breaking down the technical challenges.
Do you have a great idea? Do you have a need to innovate?
Tangent works with innovators to optimize impact and feasibility.
1. Know the Problem
2. Innovate Relentlessly
3. Ship It
4. Information Exchange
6. Serve Others First
Working at Tangent
Tangent is a technology development think-tank. Our people have a deep knowledge of their field, and wide-ranging interests that intersect with other disciplines. While we may not have a new position posted, we are always on the lookout for like-minded people – the best in each discipline with a desire to explore, create and develop new technologies.
Positions with Tangent are not for those looking to coast gently into retirement. We move quickly, work hard to develop and test our ideas, and are merciless in critiquing and refining our work. If you've tried working for others and have been frustrated with the pace, lack of action, autonomy, or innovation, you might be a good fit here. Send us an email, and let's talk.
You will work on challenging projects and will be directly responsible for their success. We work in small, self-managed, interdisciplinary teams that are hand-picked for each project. You'll work with other experts, directing and leading projects from concept, through manufacture, to the unboxing experience after purchase.
You are great at what you do and can't see yourself doing anything else but design world changing products. You'll have resources and power to execute engineering excellence.
Excited about working us but don't see a position below that is a direct fit? We are always interested in discussing contract or contract-to-hire positions in the following areas (2 - 6 years of experience preferred):
- Firmware & Embedded Engineers
- Software Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Electrical Engineers
- Process Engineers
- Product & Industrial Designers
Mechanical Design Engineer
Tangent’s Mechanical Design Engineers work within cross-functional project teams to create and commercialize new technologies into high-impact products.
The successful candidate will be thrilled to join a growing team of highly creative and intelligent people who love solving problems. You are professional, creative yet systematic, detail-oriented, goal-driven, and able to assist with many aspects of technology and product creation from ideation to prototype building & testing to manufacturing and commercial launch. The ideal candidate will have both design and hands-on experience in new product and technology development, with a passion for working with like-minded people who push hard to find solutions to problems that matter. Tangent maintains ISO 9001 (quality management) & ISO 13485 (medical device design) quality systems, and the candidate will help monitor compliance with, maintenance of, and continuous improvement of this system.
As part of our mechanical design engineering team, the successful candidate will perform the following on a variety of challenging design projects in the cleantech, medical, ag tech, industrial sensing/control, IoT, and transportation industries.
- Assume a mechanical product design and engineering role in product development projects from concept and technology evaluation through multiple design phases to manufacturing as required by our clients
- Provide detailed mechanical design and drawing services (in SolidWorks)
- Execute design and engineering tasks as directed by a Supervising Engineer
- Liaise with prototype manufacturers and manage builds. Assemble and test prototypes in the Tangent shop.
- Bachelors or graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Fundamental Mechanical Engineering analytical skills
- Excellent report writing and verbal communication skills
- Extensive knowledge of the MS Office and MS Windows environments
- Eligible for membership in, or a member in good standing of, the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- Product design experience in one or more of the cleantech, industrial, or medical industries
- An ability to learn new things and provide creative solutions to design challenges
- An ability to learn from and collaborate with coworkers
- Ability and interest in assembling and testing prototype designs
- Experience with 3D CAD Software (SolidWorks)
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the job title in the subject.
Sr. Electrical Design Engineer
If you are looking for an exciting career opportunity to work on next generation Cleantech and Medtech products, embrace challenge, and always aim to make every design you do better than your last, a career at Tangent is perfect for you.
Tangent is looking for Sr./Mid level engineers to add to our electrical team. This role will focus on electronics design, and the best candidate has a track record of success and can speak in detail about their technical experience and problem solving ability. Your products have been used and appreciated by customers. Ideally, you would have experience distilling a set of sometimes confusing/conflicting client directions into a well thought out and well planned system design. You would have deep knowledge and success in moving from the system level through to detailed design and into manufacturing. Ideally you would have done all of this in a regulated market (hazloc, medical, functional safety, machine safety, etc).
Tangent engineers work from start to finish through all phases of the product lifecycle on innovative and new technologies in a number of sectors (oil and gas, medical, IOT, consumer, industrial, heavy industrial). Our engineers are our lifeblood. We appreciate them all and try to make our work environment a fun flexible place to work. All we ask in return is that our employees put our clients first and build the best product they can. Our mission is to help entrepreneurs and established businesses create, build, and grow success through product innovation.
Educational level: at a minimum, a bachelor of science in electrical or computer engineering. MSc or PhD degrees are desirable.
Experience: 4+ years minimum, 8 years preferred.
Knowledge and skills
- You have previous professional involvement in design and testing of embedded electronic systems – systems that were finished, that shipped, and have happy customers. You have experience progressing a design through concept, to prototype, to regulatory, to manufactured (and managed) product
- You have design experience with all key elements in a system (power supply, processing, memory, communications, antennas, RF, digital processing).
- You can talk about your hard-won experience in bringing up new hardware and debugging prototype systems.
- You have a philosophy of designing with test and manufacturing in mind.
- You have stayed active and current in learning new technologies, new languages and modern design approaches.
- Previous experience with medical devices, hazardous area electronics, or the production of electronics in heavily regulated industry would be an asset.
- Previous experience in RF circuit and antenna design would be an asset.
- Previous experience in industrial electronics (PLC based control systems) would be an asset.
Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We will be accepting applicants for this position for 30 days or until the position has been filled.
Start to Finish
At Tangent, we are motivated by your difficult technical challenges. Our team of more than 35 engineers, designers and project managers work together daily in a highly collaborative environment to help our clients develop new technologies create innovative products. Since 2005, we have delivered a wide range of devices based on our experience designing and implementing in consumer electronics, medical devices, industrial equipment, and aerospace. We guide our clients from idea to successful finished product by tailoring each project schedule, budget, and deliverable to meet our client’s specific needs. We would love to hear about your project. Contact us today.Contact us to start your project